ISO 45001 - Occupational health & safety
Demonstrate your commitment to create better and safer working conditions.
People still die from work-related accidents or diseases every single day. Moreover, the importance of addressing worker’s psychosocial well-being has been rising on corporate agendas during the pandemic. To secure employees’ safety and reduce workplace risks is increasingly central to ensure a healthy company.
ISO 45001 is an international standard on occupational health and safety (OH&S), setting forth requirements to build a sound management system. When combined with the ISO 45003 guideline on psychosocial health and safety, companies can reduce workplace risks and create safer, healthier working conditions considering all aspects. In addition, ISO 45001 supports companies in ensuring compliance and meet legal obligations.
What is ISO 45001
ISO 45001 is applicable to any type of organization – large or small – within any business sector. It is based on OHSAS 18001 and other recognized OH&S standards and conventions. It replaced OHSAS 18001 in 2018 as the main international standard; the transition deadline set to September 2021.
ISO 45001 applies the ISO High Level Structure (HLS), which defines the structure for all ISO standards easing integration with other generic management system standards. This benefits companies already certified to standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
Based on the well-established management principles of Plan-Do-Check-Act, ISO 45001 requires an organization to:
- identify hazards and assess occupational health and safety risks related to its activities and services;
- determine the necessary controls;
- set clear objectives and targets to improve on its OH&S performance.
Benefits of certification
In many countries, an occupational health and safety management system is a legal requirement and companies must report on performance. Certification to ISO 45001 by an independent party like DNV proves you have a legally compliant system in place and it drives progress.
ISO 45001 certification enables your organization to:
- Establish and continually improve an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to personnel and other interested parties exposed to hazards associated with your activities or services.
- Work systematically to improve your occupational health and safety performance and prevent (re)occurrence of accidents and incidents.
- Assure its conformance with stated OH&S policy and demonstrate conformance to others.
- Continually comply with applicable OH&S legal requirements.
To become certified, you must first implement an occupational health and safety management system that is compliant with ISO 45001. As an accredited third-party certification body, DNV can support you from the initial training and gap-analysis to self-assessment tools and any of your certification needs. DNV provides IRCA accredited courses for ISO 45001 and offer specific ISO 45003 training.